A Bit of History…
The effort to create the Amsterdam Municipal Golf Course began on July 17, 1934, with the allocation of $3,500 by the Recreation Commission City Council and Mayor Arthur Carter. In December 1934, Mayor Carter and the Common Council approved the purchase of approximately 182 acres of land. Construction was made possible through a $100,000 federal appropriation under the New Deal’s Works Progress Administration (WPA). As many as 175 WPA employees worked on the project. The first nine holes of the Amsterdam facility were ready in 1937, but Jones delayed the opening until 1938 to let the turf develop and to give time to finish construction of the remaining nine holes. Mayor Arthur Carter was instrumental in advocating for the golf course, and the facility is named in his honor. Carter was Mayor from 1934 to 1943 during the presidency of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Opening day was July 19, 1938, and the first foursome consisted of golf stars Gene Sarazen and Tom Creavy, joined by Frank Hartig, the first pro at the new course and John Lord, the Antlers pro. The caddies were Early Hartig, Moe Iannuzzi, Earl Gode, and Harry Gode. A Scottish band led the group down the first fairway. The team of Lord and Creavy beat Sarazen and Hartig that day.
PGA Professional: Kevin Canale